jeudi 19 avril 2012

Experiences Abroad

Gregg Surette, an American student, was studying International Business, French and Accounting at the University of Boston when he got the opportunity to study in France for a semester during his junior year. He studied at L’Institut de Formation Internationale in Rouen which was the sister school of his University.
He says he really enjoyed having this experience and would definitely do it again, but maybe as a single person this time.

Here is a testimony from the other side of the fence.



What made you make up your mind to go study in France? 
My grand-parents were from Nova Scotia and French was spoken in my household. I had always had a desire to travel and believed that study abroad would greatly improve my language skills.

What did you expect? 
I wanted full immersion in a foreign language, whether it be French or Chinese. I wanted intensive language courses and also wanted to meet international girls.

What was it like when you got there? 
In France, it was amazing. I stayed with a host family and the people in Rouen, and even the Parisiens were very accommodating and welcoming to foreigners. Everyone was extremely nice and made my stay really pleasant. The great part about studying abroad was that the group of students that went over were all of the same mindset – wanting to learn and travel. Having a group that was going through the same experience as me was essential in making my stay abroad go so well.

What did you think of the campus? 
Campus was nice. It was a bit smaller than my home university and my university was also set in a more rural environment. So, the campus had a smaller school feel and was in the middle of Rouen.

What classes did you take? 
International business, finance, French, French for business, HR and international business ethics.

What did you think of the French professors? 
The French professors were great. The learning environment is a little different than in the States. There was a lot of opportunity to speak and have dialogue in class. It was awesome to see a different mindset when it came to business from these French professors.

What did you think of the student life? 
Student life was great. The biggest difference was that since it was a smaller school, everyone knew each other and there were a lot of cliques. But, everyone was very accommodating.

Did you have to study a lot to get by? 
I didn’t have to study anymore than I had at my home university. Grading scale was different as the States is based on 100% whereas France was based on 20/20 points. I was amazed to see that the average was 12 and 14 meant you were really smart!

Was the language a struggle at all? 
At first it was very intimidating. But like anything, once you get used to it, it was great.

Did you take a test of French to apply? 
No.

What kind of housing arrangement did you have? 
We could decide between apartment or having a host family. There were several recommended areas to live and student housing options. I decided to live with a host family and everything was pre-arranged by my University.

What did you think of your living arrangement? 
It was great! The family was a family of six children, two parents, a dog, a cat and a bird. All the children were around my age so it was a great experience.

How did you finance your time abroad? 
In the States, we paid my local university who in turn paid the school I was at. So, I paid my regular tuition. I had a student loan and personal loan to cover living expenses.

Did you spend more money than expected? 
Yes. I probably spent something close to €4,000!

Did you travel around France/Europe? 
Yes. I had Fridays off so my group planned a lot of trips. I saw a lot of France and also travelled to over 7 countries in Europe.

Best memory? 
Dinner at the host family house. We started eating at 3pm and stayed at the dinner until 10pm. Also travelling around Europe.

Worst memory? 
Fighting with my girlfriend who was living in California.

Any regret? 
There was a really hot blonde French girl in one of my classes. I wanted to ask her out and she had given me her number before. We continued to stay in touch a tad, but I never made a move. She was hot.

What struck you the most culturally in America?
Food is such an amazing part of French culture. It is not just food; it brings together family and friends and providing food for others is such a great way to share. Everything revolved around food and dinners were the best.

Did you adapt to the new environment easily? 
Yes, I am quite easy going, so it was no problems.

Did you miss home at all? 
My parents had started sending me to overnight camp at a very young age. I had also studied 4 hours away from my family at university, so I was used to being on my own.

How would you describe in one sentence your experience? 
Satisfying, overwhelming, exciting and wonderful.

Did it change you as a person? 
It made me appreciate culture. It also opened my eyes to the fact that I and Boston are not the centre of the universe.

What kind of personality do you need to study abroad? 
Easy-going, outgoing, friendly, open-minded, confident.

Any advice for students who would like to study in France? 
Do it! Studying abroad was the most memorable and best experience I have ever had.

Interview by Justine

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire